Director of Facilities III
p: (315) 625-5245
Secretary of Buildings & Grounds
p: (315) 625-5295
Initial notification regarding pesticide use to persons in parental relation and staff pursuant to
Section 409-H of the State Education Law.
Dear Parent, Guardian, and School Staff:
New York State Education Law Section 409-H requires all public and nonpublic elementary and secondary schools to provide written notification to all persons in parental relation, faculty, and staff regarding the potential use of pesticides periodically throughout the school year, on school property.
Schools must also advise paretns and staff members that they have the right to ask to be informed 48 hours before the application of pesticides (with specific exceptions, as listed below) and that the APW Central School District is required to maintain a list of persons in parental relation, faculty, and staff who wish to receive 48-hour prior written notifications.
The following pesticide applications are not subject to prior notification requirements:
• a school remains unoccupied for a continuous 72-hours following an application;
• anti-microbial products;
• nonvolatile rodenticides in tamper resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children;
• nonvolatile insecticidal baits in tamper resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children;
• silica gels and other nonvolatile ready-to-use pastes, foams, or gels in areas inaccessible to children;
• boric acid and disodium octaborate tetrahydrate;
• the application of EPA designated biopesticides;
• the application of EPA designated exempt materials under 40CFR1 52.25;
• the use of aerosol products with a directed spray in containers of 18 fluid ounces or less when used to protect individuals from an imminent threat from stinging and biting insects including venomous spiders, bees, wasps, and hornets.
In the event of an emergency application necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human health, a good faith effort will be made to supply written notification to those on the 48-hour prior notification list.
If you would like to receive 48-hour prior notification of pesticide applications that are scheduled to occur in your school(s), please complete the attached form and submit to our pesticide representative. Mr. David Poore, Director of Facilities, APW School District, 641 County Route 22, PO Box 97, Parish, Ny 13131. For further information on these requirements you may contact Mr. Poore at 315-625-5245 or fax 315-625-5244.
Annual Fire Inspection Notification
Notice is hereby given that the annual fire/safety inspection for 2015, of the school buildings of the APW Central School District for fire hazards which might endanger the lives of students, teachers, and employees therein, has been completed and the report thereof is available at the district office of APW Central School District for inspection by all interested persons.
As a direct result of staff safety awareness and due to the constant, diligent attention given to safety concerns on a day-to-day basis, the fire/safety inspection report was excellent and the fire inspector was impressed with the outstanding condition of our buildings.